Saturday, December 13, 2008

Times have changed

Some time ago, I was conducting a Bible Study lesson for a group of P2 students. I told them that I was going to tell them an adult story. You could see the excitement in their faces. I began, “The story came from a book called “Among Equals”. It was about three young men vying to be the country Prime Minister. One is poor, another middle class and the third came from a very wealthy family. How many Prime Minister are there in a country?”
They replied, almost in unison,”One!”
“To cut the story short, I will drop one of them and focus on just two young men.”
Before I could continue, they interrupted incessantly, “Which one? Which one?”
Now, that was where I exercised my discretion and creativity. I enjoyed such moment of control. Which one …? In the back of my mind, I said to myself, “Most of us would root for the underdog.” So, I said, “The middle class one.”
The reaction was totally unexpected – many protested and some even showed signs that they were not keen to follow the story anymore. When I reflected over it, I realized times have changed. The profiles of my students have also changed. Many of my students are from the middle class and they knew it. Their fathers are doctors, managers or accountants. They identified with a different hero then this son of a taxi driver.

No comments: