Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sting Ray

My two boys bought two small ‘sting rays’ (about 5cm from the mouth to the tail) for three dollars each. From then on, no one dares to put their hands into the aquarium. One day, over lunch, I shared my experience with aquarium hobbyist, Quek SK. He became skeptical when he heard about the price. To him, one just cannot get a sting ray for three dollars whatever the size. He asked for a photo. I was sulking that my friend could think that I cannot even tell whether a fish is a sting ray or not. When I came home and tell my eldest son about it. His reaction surprised me. He smiled and said, “As long as I am happy with them, who care what others think.”
To take a picture of the fish in the fiber glass tank is not going to be a fruitful exercise as the picture will not be clear, so I decided to catch it for photo taking. However, spotting them is already very difficult because there are so many hiding places in the tank. Catching them is close to impossible as they swim very fast and stick to the surface. The only way is probably to empty the tank which I am not keen.
After explaining to my friend about my failure to produce a picture, he searched and found the accompany picture from Internet. That settles the argument once and for all. He was right. The fish belongs to the sucker family and it is known by many names: Borneo Sucker, Borneo Loach, Hong Kong Pleco, Butterfly Loach and Chinese Hillstream Loach.
From this episode, I learned to be happy with what I have and I am thankful to my friend and Internet for the info.

No comments: