Friday, January 23, 2009

#23 Course Summary

Summarize your thoughts about this program
I was literally conned into this course: the course brief mentioned Blogging, Technorati, Flickr, Web2.0 Awards, etc and one hour at TLC. To my horror, the one hour was only for the briefing; the course actually stretched for three months. Sounded like Lehman Brothers, isn’t it? My first reaction was I have a certification exam coming up so I won’t have time for the course. My excuse was set aside for I was allowed to start two weeks later than the rest.
To withdraw from the course in NPAL was going to be more painful than the course itself so I decided to make the most out of the situation I got myself into. As an engineer by training, my focus was on application. For every ‘thing’ in the list of 23 things, I was driven by this one question: “How does it apply to me?”
The first thing to hit me was the sense of achievement and ownership– my own website and customized gadgets. From the start, I treated it as a real tool instead of an academic exercise. The mid-course face-to-face session was very helpful for it helped me to solve many problems quickly.
I have always wanted to document the little things that I picked up in life especially my holiday but I never got to doing it. Blogging instilled in me this discipline. For the first time, I did it for the recent December holiday. My father was a computer illiterate and yet through my brother, he could to enjoy my pictures on Flickr. I have quite a few of my relatives and friends who are stationed overseas and they wanted to know how my children are getting on. The blog site served this function neatly.
This course is Learner-centered- Learning (LcL) at its best. The facilitators were always hovering around; we learnt at our own pace and from each other and applied the knowledge almost immediately. I enjoyed the course very much and I have no regrets for the mistake I made when I signed up for the course.

1 comment:

Murray said...

Conned? No lah, the requirements were all in the course outline :-)

A nice summary, which I enjoyed reading. Glad your relatives can enjoy your photos now.