Saturday, January 10, 2009

Buah Tarap

I have been to Sabah a couple of times and I recommend you a wild fruit called Buah Tarap. It tastes like Caster Apple but very much less expensive. One big fruit costs only 3 ringgits.
For some reasons, I was not impressed with it when I first tried it. So much so that when my family was in Sabah for holiday, I even told them to give it a miss. A trip in Oct/Nov 2007 changed my perception. The fruit tasted so good that I told myself that I must bring some Tarap back to Singapore to correct my children’s misconception.
The problem was at the airport. The fruit was too pungent to be checked-in or hand carried. In my desperation, I covered 2 Taraps with Avocado and declared them as Avocado. My children wolfed them down and it made all the risk worthwhile.
Sept to Nov is Sabah’s fruit season; you can eat till your heart’s content. But don’t think of durians in Sabah, they are more expensive than what you can get in Singapore and not so good ones too.

1 comment:

Murray said...

Yikes - you were nearly arrested, over a Buah Tarap?!?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try it next time I'm in Sabah.