Monday, August 3, 2009

Keeping Toman as pets

About two months ago, my son was drying his school shoes on the window sill and one of the shoes dropped into my fiber glass ‘pond’. The freak accident decimated my ‘colony’ of shrimps and with it my pride and joy. The last time something like that happened was many years ago when my wife’s orchid dropped into the same pond. The pesticide in the pot of orchid killed almost everything in the pond, notably my daughter’s school of guppies.
A perpetual optimist that I am, I see it as an opportunity to start something new, something different. I decided to keep snakehead fish or Toman. They are well known for being hardy. I have always enjoyed watching a particular Toman in NP pond (outside NP Convention Centre). Every time, I pass by the garden, I would detour and try to look for it.
My good friend, Quek SK, bought me three snakehead and they have been with me for one week already. I am very happy with them for they are such active swimmers bring much life to my pond. I have no qualm about eating them when they are bigger but my family protests to no ends.

Comment from Quek SK:
In America Toman is a pest not pet.
You have foresight. Spore is trying to reduce food imports thru fish farming.
If every household do what you do Spore can be self sufficient in food.
This morning I saw a toman at BT hawker aquarium fish shop.
About 2.5 inch.
Best Regards, qsk

Update:
My wife booted the snake-head fishes out of the house after they gave my children nightmares. The Tomans swam in the middle section of the water. They were not interested in surface food like flaks or worms at the bottom of the pond. The only food they went for were other fishes. The way they attacked other fishes was so vicious that it upset my wife and that sealed their fate as well.
There goes my Toman dinner.

2 comments:

Wei Kang low said...

And all they did was kill.

Low Chee Kin said...

Sorry for giving you the nightmares. I thought you have seen more grotesque stuff on TV.