Monday, February 16, 2009

Why I believe?

Recently, a colleague gave me a lift to attend a wake. Coincidentally, the last time, we met outside NP was also at a wake. Invariably, our conversation was centered on health, death and religion. She is a non-believer. While talking to her, I had a deeper understanding of what Jesus said, “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God” (Matthew 19:24)

I am more used to talking in a position of authority to my children and to my students. But this time, it was the other way round. She is obviously more successful than I am – she drives a Mercedes while I take the public transport. She is more intellectual so much so that I have no answers to many of her questions.

Unfortunately, religion is not science. Many of the things are non-repeatable and hard evidences are lost in the passage of time. To me, the Bible contained so much truth, many of which took me decades to discover their validity that the Bible must be inspired by a higher being as many of the Bible writers were lowly educated people.

When I was younger, I rejected Christianity and resent it because it wanted to control my life, I wanted to be free and be able to do what pleased me. Only when I have my own children, I found myself wanting to control them. Not because I am a control freak but because I love them. Isn’t it ironic?

What we cannot see does not mean that it is not there. I like bringing students to Sabah for YEP. One of the things I would do was to show them Mount Kinabalu in the afternoon. They would not be able to see anything because the mountain would be completely covered by the mist. Some students would even seriously question what I told them. The following morning, I would take them to the same spot. The mountain would be in full view as the mist needed the sun's heat to build up. I enjoyed seeing their expressions of wonderment and disbelief that they could miss something so huge the day before. I believe God is like that, He is there but due to our limitations, we cannot see Him. We cannot rationalise too much in religion. The way to God is through our heart.

No comments: