Friday, November 21, 2008

Project Nutz 2008

Flickr Link
On 25th July 2008, we ran our hearts out for Project Nutz 2008. Before the race, Wing Hoe asked me how it would be. I said, “We will win because of Auyong.” The truth, of course, is it takes everybody.

Our strength is deep; we have 2 teams that support each other. One seasoned runner even stepped aside so that a younger one might have a chance to experience the thrill of the race.

Auyong was our last recruit. After we saw how fast she could run, we knew we have had an ace in our hands. The rest was up to the guys. We put our best runner, Sze KL, as the first runner. He ran the 1.5km with a timing that is even faster than most of us running 1.2km. We were in third position after the first leg.

Peng Guan was next in line; he sped off like a charging bull. He bought each runner a can of Red Bull and a carton of 100+ isotonic drinks for all to share. He maintained our position.

I took over next. I had wanted to run in team 2 but I was not able to persuade better runners to run. I psyched myself up despite some misgivings. After taking over from Peng Guan, I knew we were third. But after some running, the other two staff runners who were ahead of me were nowhere in sight. To make matter worse, I was surrounded by secondary school boys. They were running as if they have springs in their legs while mine were already long gone. The only consolation was I did not let any other staff runner overtake me.

Khee Peng was next and he again maintained our position. I cannot comment much as I was busy catching my breath then. Next come Meng Tiong, He usually starts off slowly but on that day, he was a completely different persona. He was a speed demon all the way, right from the start. He powered pass a BA staff and we went one up.

Auyong was the sixth runner. True to her form, she overtook a staff from ICT. She passed to Kee Wan with 10m to spare. We were in the lead for the first time. The ICT anchor man was known to be a very fast runner. He gave chase on all cylinders. Auyong, as a senior is good at motivating her fellow staff but this time, she motivated the wrong person. As the two runners sped out of the Sport Complex, we kept our fingers crossed.

It was not that we have no faith in Kee Wan but it is very motivating for the hunter to have a target in sight. After what appeared an exaggerated wait, both runners re-entered in the Sports Complex. Towards the final stretch, Kee Wan pulled ahead even farther and hit the tape for us. We are champion!

I am very proud of this race because we won despite not having runners from the A-list. We won because everyone gave his all and did his part. My sincere thanks to members of team 2: Daniel, Hee JJ, Yong Poo, Beng Kiat, Wei Lian, Wee Khoon and Chee Yun. Our die hard supporters: Wong SS, Han KY, Nancy, Dr Chong, Annie and Janet.

1 comment:

Murray said...

Thanks for the interesting and enthusiastic story!

Looking forward to your post on how you feel about blogs.