Friday, October 16, 2009

NP Dragon Boat Regatta ’09

Click here for more pictures.
This morning, I woke up with an aching back and it reminded me of the NP Dragon Boat Regatta ’09 at the Kallang River yesterday (15th Oct). The staff category was won by the Admin team (principal was in it). Truth be told, they trained weekly in the actual venue for one whole month under an experienced coach while most of us trained only once in the swimming pool with just the paddles.
I am not complaining my point is if one wants to win badly enough, one must put in the resources and commitment. NYP has been very impressive in skill-based competitions because they have the resources and coaches who have participated in the contests themselves and therefore have the experiences to share. The next best thing for us to do is to tap on our own participants and make them share with their juniors so that their experiences will not go to waste.
Before the race, I set a target to win the heat and let others (we have a fair number of reserves) a chance to row in the final. It was not that I was that gracious; I just could not recover enough to race again in such a short time. I was happy to achieve the target.
The last time I dragon boated in Kallang River was four years ago. In the heat of the race, water was splashing all over the place and I was grasping for air, inevitably I swallowed some water. I vividly remembered the extreme taste of saltiness. It was the same this time round, I again swallowed some water. But to my surprise, the water was not salty anymore. The desalination process at the Marina Barrage is really working.

No comments: